Opening up about my decision to get pregnant

If you follow me on Instagram, you know that life is about to change drastically for our family. We are expecting a baby in February!!


I could not be more excited to be growing our little family. Basically all of my adult life I've been waiting for the time to be right to become a mother. I love working with children, and I've always wanted to raise a few of my own. After a lot of difficult conversations with my husband and even more prayers, we decided it was time to start our family. So I finished my Associates degree, and went off birth control. Big surprise when only a month later we found out we were pregnant! Apparently someone else thought it was time for us to start our family too 😉

Deciding when to have kids wasn't an easy decision for us. We knew that we wanted kids eventually, but I was still (unsuccessfully) trying to get a bachelors degree. After I transferred schools a bunch of times, had to retake too many classes that wouldn't transfer over, and took several long breaks from school, the bachelors degree was taking longer than expected.

I wanted to get a bachelors degree, until two things happened around the same time:

1. I started having anxiety attacks. School was stressing me out to an unhealthy level. I have never been naturally good at school. I'm smart and I love learning, but I'm not as good at finishing assignments and studying for tests. For most of my life, I was OK with being average at school. When I made my last transfer though, I wanted to do well. I was trying to maintain a 4.0 GPA and struggling to do so. I put way too much pressure on myself, and I was slowly cracking.

2. I got really baby hungry. And my husband did too. Being a ballet major, I knew that starting a family and going to school would be really difficult. Besides the mental challenge, it would be a physical challenge as well. I was dancing 4+ hours a day, and last I checked, most prenatal exercise programs don't recommend that level of physical activity. Not to mention the sporadic schedule that would make child care extremely difficult. My husband and I decided it would be best to wait until after I was done with school to start a family.

But we didn't want to wait. Not really. Between the mental stress I was going through, and feeling a strong desire to start a family, I made the decision to get an associates degree and be done with school. It felt like it was time for a new adventure.


A few months into my pregnancy, I feel like it was the right decision for us. Not only has my mental health improved, but this little baby has been a source of great happiness. My husband's family went through some really difficult things this summer and we have all been super grateful for the joy this baby has brought into our lives. I can't wait to meet our little one and tell baby how much love we already have for him or her.


Comments

Popular Posts