Current fitness routine and BBG review

If you've ever been on instagram trolling for fitness inspo, you've probably seen Kayla Itsines and the amazing results her program gives. Curious to see how her program would work for me, I purchased a full year subscription to the Sweat app which includes her original BBG program and a few others.


Kayla's Program is pretty simple to follow. You workout 6 days a week, and rest on the 7th. 3 of the workouts are resistance training. The other 3 are Low Intensity Steady State, or LISS cardio sessions, like walking or jogging. 2 times a week you choose a rehabilitation broken down into 1 rest day and 1 extra stretching session throughout the week.

The resistance training workouts are broken down into 2 circuits of movements that you perform for 7 minutes each. Repeat the circuits and you have a 28 minute workout that will leave you sweaty and sore. Usually with warm-up, cool down, and a 1 minute break between circuits it takes about 40 minutes to get through the whole thing.



Week One:

Leg day killed! And leg day is day one, so you can imagine how the rest of my week was. I was sore all week! Like, I couldn't sit on the toilet without serious assistance kind of sore. Moving hurt, but staying still for too long made me too stiff to get up so I had to keep moving. This was the week we went and saw Endgame in theaters and I could not get my legs to work right after the 3 hour movie.....but I stuck with it and just did an extra good warm up before the remaining workouts of the week so I could give it my best effort.

Week Two:

I was still experimenting with how to make it work for me. Which workouts I needed to go the gym for, and where I needed to be in the gym to accomplish that. The BBG program is designed to be able to do at home because it requires minimal equipment. However, I live in a 3rd story apartment and there's a lot of jumping involved, so I go to the gym (You're welcome downstairs neighbors). I also got a pretty nasty cold towards the end of the week so I opted out of the Total Body workout and chose a shorter 15 minute workout from Kelsey Wells' PWR at home program which can also be found on the Sweat app.

Week Three:

Totally loving it! I could feel myself getting stronger and being able to push myself harder. I was also finding my groove with it. I knew what to expect from each workout and what I would need to accomplish it. I almost skipped the Total Body workout again because I didn't feel like going to the gym, but I modified it slightly and just did it at home. So glad I did too. These workouts kill, but I always feel so accomplished when I get through one.

Week Four:

It's easier for me to go to the gym and get a workout in. I actually enjoy it. I look forward to being able to challenge myself. What's great about the BBG program is you repeat a lot of the same exercises from week to week which means you can really tell how much STRONGER you get from week to week. In the first week I had to take so many breaks in the 7 minute periods. By week four, I was taking fewer breaks and powering through more exercises.


Results:

If you've been looking into trying the BBG program you're probably curious about how it works for weight loss, especially after you've seen the transformation photos. To be honest, I'm not using the program for weight loss, but I am using it to increase my fitness levels and stay healthy. I've been noticing a lot more muscle definition in my lower body and my core, which is always fun to see. The program is simple and easy to follow. If you are new to fitness or you've been working out forever, this is an awesome program to try!

Have you tried any of the BBG programs? If so, what did you think?

Comments

Popular Posts